Saturday, January 23, 2016
Got a new Pocket Cuban in the mail yesterday courtesy of a deal with Mark. Thanks Mark! I couldn't see myself paying $10+ for a plastic CC slip for it, so I decided to make my own from a leather scrap. I used double-sided Carpet Tape for the construction. It turned out OK. See pics below. Holds 2 CC's easily per slot, 3 if necessary. The side view of the slip installed in the Cuban shows that the slip just clears the inside of the pen holder. Since I seldom carry a pen there, that was deliberate on my part as the clasp prevents any possibility of a CC slipping out. The cards have plenty of resistance when inserting or removing them anyway, so that won't be an issue. Time will tell how well the pocket will hold up, but that Carpet Tape is pretty tenacious!! Next up, making a (mythical) Leather change/note wallet ;-)
Friday, January 22, 2016
Sometimes, one is just never sure whether another person is serious or not. A nerdly fellow, Merlin Mann, introduced the World to his latest invention a while ago, the HipsterPDA, and the idea took wing. I decided to make one. Here's my small attempt at "refinement". The tweaked and leather-covered binder clip is the secret sauce that increases productivity. I sized my leather wrap to snugly grip the barrel of my Fisher Space pen. The backing of the PDA was cut from a Teabag carton, then laminated both sides for stiffness and durabilty. The lower band, that keeps the Index Cards neatly in order is from a Broccoli purchase. They seemingly always use a perfectly-sized elastic band around here, it's exactly 1/4' wide. Notice how it fits into appropriately sized cutouts in the PDA Backing sheet. The bands are even just the Goldilocks length: tension, but not too much so the PDA curls, not too little so the 3x5's flutter. Of course, I have a few "stolen" tweaks included too: pockets made from two 3x5 cards (I use very narrow double-sided tape, a good craft store has it) for receipts, tickets etc. A variety of different colored 3x5 cards that I scrounged from various drawers in the desk. I am told those might aid something or other. Finally, I trimmed the corners of the Baseplate a la BattleStar Gallactica as I foresee nasty curled corners should I ever attempt to actually pocket my PDA. Then, before the tedium of trimming all the 3x5 cards to match perfectly, I saw on Ebay that a couple of bucks gets you a corner trimmer that generates a perfectly trimmed card. A couple are winging their way towards me across the Pacific as I type. Don't worry, they're less than half that price on Ebay. When those get here I'll just have to remake the whole thing. Don't want mismatching corners, do we?
Tuesday, January 19, 2016
Just finished this one up. It was a wee bit more complicated than anything I have attempted previously, especially since the Skeletool varies in section in all three dimensions along its axis, as well as decreasing in bulk towards the carabiner end, and the tool doesn't have a truly flat surface to work with. Anyway, it's just a simple pocket sheath that fits either of my Skele's. I hate pocket lint getting into my knives and tools while they ride in my pockets. I guess I make matters worse because I frequently carry Kleenex. Never really been a fan of using the pocket clip, and I seldom wear a belt for belt-sheath carry, so this seemed the only way to go. The Skele pushes out and into the sheath remarkably easily/nicely, surprising really. Maybe it's easy because I used some very flexible thin leather for the "top", and far thicker and stiffer leather for the "bottom"......a re-purposed garage sale Ladies handbag actually.