Friday, January 22, 2016

HipsterPDA....

Sometimes, one is just never sure whether another person is serious or not. A nerdly fellow, Merlin Mann, introduced the World to his latest invention a while ago, the HipsterPDA, and the idea took wing. I decided to make one. Here's my small attempt at "refinement". The tweaked and leather-covered binder clip is the secret sauce that increases productivity. I sized my leather wrap to snugly grip the barrel of my Fisher Space pen. The backing of the PDA was cut from a Teabag carton, then laminated both sides for stiffness and durabilty. The lower band, that keeps the Index Cards neatly in order is from a Broccoli purchase. They seemingly always use a perfectly-sized elastic band around here, it's exactly 1/4' wide. Notice how it fits into appropriately sized cutouts in the PDA Backing sheet. The bands are even just the Goldilocks length: tension, but not too much so the PDA curls, not too little so the 3x5's flutter. Of course, I have a few "stolen" tweaks included too: pockets made from two 3x5 cards (I use very narrow double-sided tape, a good craft store has it) for receipts, tickets etc. A variety of different colored 3x5 cards that I scrounged from various drawers in the desk. I am told those might aid something or other. Finally, I trimmed the corners of the Baseplate a la BattleStar Gallactica as I foresee nasty curled corners should I ever attempt to actually pocket my PDA. Then, before the tedium of trimming all the 3x5 cards to match perfectly, I saw on Ebay that a couple of bucks gets you a corner trimmer that generates a perfectly trimmed card. A couple are winging their way towards me across the Pacific as I type. Don't worry, they're less than half that price on Ebay. When those get here I'll just have to remake the whole thing. Don't want mismatching corners, do we?